-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0" : "width=1100"' name='viewport'/> Plum Street Chili: A Single Person's Holiday Tipple

Saturday, December 10, 2016

A Single Person's Holiday Tipple



Imagine being all alone wrapping presents in front of the fire. You are enjoying the solitude. You are snug and warm. You have Egg Nog from Charleston Receipts. Life is good.

Simple Eggnog
Serves One

1 fresh country Egg
1 cup rich Milk
1 tablespoon good Whiskey or Brandy
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 pinch Salt
Sugar to taste

Separate the egg, beating both the yolk and the white. Add the Sugar and Salt to the yolk, then the Whiskey or Brandy, Milk and Vanilla. Lastly add the white of Egg. Mix and strain into a tall glass and serve cold. Grate a touch of Nutmeg on top. - courtesy of Mrs. Augustine T. S. Stoney (Louisa Jenkins).

Charleston Receipts is the oldest Junior League cookbook still continuously in print. No changes have been made to the original 1950 version of the cookbook, except for some minor editing and reformatting over the years. You can see a page from the book below with a recipe for Peppermint Stick Ice Cream. It can be purchased new at the Junior League's website. I have a copy from the 13th printing in 1973. A description from their website:

Called the Bible of all Junior League cookbooks, Charleston Receipts features recipes that have served Charleston hostesses well for decades and is considered a "must" in any cookbook collection. Described by Food & Wine as"reflecting the nostalgia for the Old-South that prevailed among low-country aristocrats during the postwar (Civil War) era," ... For its outstanding preservation of local and regional culinary customs and its benefits to the local community, Charleston Receipts was inducted into the Walter S. McIlhenny Community Cookbooks Hall of Fame in 1990.

11 comments:

  1. I visited many websites but the audio feature for audio songs current at
    this web site is genuinely fabulous.
    Also see my website: brought

    ReplyDelete
  2. You run wellness clinics? What a good way to make a living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of
    any message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
    I'd really like to be a part of community where I can get responses from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!
    Also visit my web-site :: easy weightloss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the topic you are interested in is unique recipes and food, you might like this blog which I occasionally cross post on.

      http://cherrythetart.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  4. Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…


    [url=http://cheapnfljerseys168.totalh.net/]Wholesale NFL Jerseys[/url]



    [url=http://jordansoutletgc.yolasite.com/]jordans for cheap[/url]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Delighted I can be of service.

      Delete
  5. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.


    [url=http://cheapjordans2013.webstarts.com/]cheap jordans[/url]


    [url=http://louisvuittonhandbags8.synergize.co/]cheap lv outlet[/url]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may use some of my content. Please give attribution and a link back if you do. And let me know?

      Delete
  6. I usually do not leave a response, but after reading through a few of the comments on "Happy Holidays from Me and Charleston Receipts".
    I do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to mind.
    Could it be only me or do a few of these remarks come across like they
    are written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing at additional sites,
    I'd like to follow anything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list of all of your social community sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?
    Also see my webpage :: http://africanmangoplusdirect.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. Good to meet you. Your website is very attractive and well done. Perhaps I should use my linkedin profile?

    You are dealing with a computer and social network illiterate, functional only because I used to be a typesetter and graphic designer years ago. I do not know precisely what a twitter feed is.

    I write this blog and another and occasionally for dkos. I am just starting to make a bit of money. Really I am a playwright. Here is info:

    https://twitter.com/PlumStChili

    http://cherrythetart.blogspot.com/

    http://www.dailykos.com/blog/CherryTheTart

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete