Sunday, December 15, 2013

Pennsylvania - Eldreth Pottery - POTTERY IS CLOSED


I am a collector of vintage American Pottery. I have over the years collected some fine pieces of McCoy and Stangl among many other American Potters. I collect both useful and Art pieces. In this era of mass production, I prize the beautiful and unique.

I make old time pickles and preserves. I want pottery crocks that will do the job and look good on the counter. I made Brandied Seckel Pears (divine and never cooked or refrigerated) in a covered clay crock from the turn of the century. The alcohol content kept all bad buggies and mold away. I am going to make natural sauerkraut in a crock as I have no room for a barrel. The best book I know on home food preservation is Marion Brown's Pickles and Preserves. Marion Brown was one of the foremost food writers of the 50s and 60s.

As I began the search for clay crocks suitable for preserving and pickling, I discovered modern Pennsylvania potters whose work is beautiful and useful. I am not the only lover and collector of American Pottery. There are Pottery Tours. Who knew? I am going to share with you what I discover about Pennsylvania's Potters and pottery lovers as I discover it.

I found the perfect one gallon Crock. It comes from Eldreth Pottery. You can pick the design on your Crock. Your choices range from this Pig to more traditional designs. You can even have your Name on it.

Eldreth's Christmas Art is lovely and each piece is
one-of-a-kind. Every object represented here made by Eldreth Pottery.













9 comments:

geezer 56 said...

God, that is some beautiful stuff! Hey Plummers, just wanted you to know there's been a mass exodus from HuffPost & a lot of us are congregating at this site on Epoch Times (also at PlanetPOV and Poyter). They use Disqus, post our comments in a flash, and have been VERY hospitable to us, which feels weird after enduring all the crap HP put us through! http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/394651-new-comment-requirements-on-huffington-post-riling-users-many-are-leaving/

Plum Dumpling said...

Thank you. How good of you to think of me. HuffPo is so over. I will be there. I love good conversation. And I learn a lot from good political commenters from other states. Bless you. You are a Prince among men.

geezer 56 said...

You are so welcome. Don't know if you're aware of this, but on Tuesday, with no warning, HP suddenly started requiring everybody to link their accounts to Facebook in order to post comments--EVERYBODY, not just new users, as they'd promised before. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-mcdonald/end-of-anonymity_b_4418630.html). Get a load of the comments under that article. BTW, I'm female! I know, I know--"geezer" has male connotations...but the upside is that nobody condescendingly calls me "Dearie" or "Sweetie," which tends to send me into orbit, and every once in a while somebody calls me "Pops," which just cracks me up. ;)

Plum Dumpling said...

I love the subterfuge. You are sneaky. I like that in a person. Coincidentally I went to HP today for the first time in weeks. I got the treatment too. They are not messing with my FB account. One is for my blog only and the other is for family and friends. I am going to HP now. Cannot wait to read the comments.

geezer 56 said...

It wasn't actually subterfuge--I just really didn't give much thought to my user name when I signed up! But honestly, I noticed right away that people didn't talk to me quite the same when they thought I was some old dude. Misogyny is rampant.

Plum Dumpling said...

God's truth.

Plum Dumpling said...

Thank you for saving me. Epoch seems good.

geezer 56 said...

Hey, come on over. Bunch of Chatty Cathys. I was on all day but really needed a break--eyes were starting to cross from reading comments for hours & hours!

Plum Dumpling said...

Another message board junkie just like me.