-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0" : "width=1100"' name='viewport'/> Plum Street Chili: Cabin Fever and Cabbage

Friday, February 26, 2016

Cabin Fever and Cabbage

February is the third month of meteorological winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Historical names for February include the Old English terms Solmonath (mud month) and Kale-monath (named for cabbage). - wikipedia

I have not had much appetite since my fall in the garden. My favorite keep-fit activity is walking everywhere. Too much ice and mud to walk safely this month because the last thing to heal is my dropped foot. It trips me. So I do not walk much now. I rarely go outside. And my appetite is wonky thereby.

I woke up dreaming of Polish comfort food - Fried Cabbage. Cabbage is one of those vegetables that stores all Winter. Cabbage in the Mud Month is probably my best source of stored sunshine vitamin C. And it is the only thing besides chocolate I actually want to eat right now.

I share with you a recipe for Bacon and Cabbage. I make it in a cast iron skillet and I can eat the whole pan all by myself. Vegans/Vegetarians can just leave out the Bacon, saute in another fat, and add more garlic and some peperoncini maybe for a bit of zing. Mild red Bell Pepper might be nice too. 

There must have been some magic in that pan of cabbage. Walter stuck his head in my door to tell me there will be an Italian/Polish banquet at the church in March. Walter is in his 80s. I do not see my neighbors for weeks in Winter. I am always relieved to find he is not dead.

I am definitely walking to church in March with Walter. I am definitely eating Stuffed Cabbage when I get there. Spring is on its way and I am determined. 

Fried Cabbage and Bacon


6 slices bacon, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head cabbage, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika

Put the bacon in a large heavy bottomed pot and cook over medium-high heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the onion and garlic; saute until the onion caramelizes; about 10 minutes. Immediately stir in the cabbage and continue to cook and stir another 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes more.


No comments:

Post a Comment