-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0" : "width=1100"' name='viewport'/> Plum Street Chili: Bye Bye Christianity

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Bye Bye Christianity

I like to talk about religion. Consequently, I spend a lot of time conversing with Christians and other religious people. I have been a Christian for 73 years now. I started reading and thinking about religion and God when I was 15. Maybe I was looking for a loophole?

The people I meet on the Net who identify as Christians these days are unkind, ignorant about their religion, rigid and freaked out. They scare me and they hurt me. They are full of ridiculous delusional 'authority'.

I exempt Bilgrimage, where the folks who can make conversation about religion and are kind, hang out. And Mr.G. You know who you are.

I am not going to call myself a Christian anymore. I know Sister Mary Innocent is breathing a sigh of relief and might even be praying for me. I am going to play a song now, and if you are still with me after that, I am going to tell you what Meister Eckhart has to say about the whole thing. And I still love God. Whew. What a relief.

Nota bene: This does not mean I am going to stop going to Mass and the Polish Food Festival with Walter.


"Be silent therefore, and do not chatter about God, for by chattering about him, you tell lies and commit a sin. If you wish to be perfect and without sin, then do not prattle about God. Also you should not wish to understand anything about God, for God is beyond all understanding. A master says: "If I had a God that I could understand, I would not regard him as God." If you understand anything about him, then he is not in it, and by understanding something of him, you fall into ignorance." - Meister Ekhart

Art from Freaking News.

No comments:

Post a Comment